The Purpose Driven Athlete

It was my greatest honor to interview my favorite softball player of all time--Stacey Moss, my little sister. Its a little bit of a different transition from what I normally write about, but I loved it too much to not post it! Plus, I started taking a magazine article writing class, and this was one of the articles. Enjoy :)

*******


The life of a college athlete is many things—road trips, friendships and education—but for Stacey Moss it’s also included broken bones and a Higher Purpose. Stacey, 21 years, plays softball for St. Mary’s University in San Antonio, Texas. Stacey’s in her junior year with a 3.84 GPA and majoring in Interdisciplinary Reading. On the field or off the field, Stacey’s known as the bubbly and encouraging young woman who loves the Lord. Leading her team in prayer before practices and games she’s become an unsung leader. Something about Stacey intrigues parents, players and fans. But no one would know the struggles she’s endured unless they asked.

Why did you choose St. Mary’s?
I knew I wanted to continue playing softball in college. My high school coach, all-American softball hall-of-famer, played all four years at St. Mary’s. So she definitely had an impact on my choice. Honestly, the decision came between Baylor and St. Mary’s. I constantly had to pray about it. Both schools had an education program and also a competitive softball program. Amongst the many doors that were opened, including a major academic scholarship, I really felt God leading me here, to St. Mary’s.
Did college softball meet your expectations?
High School coaches said that being on a team meant instant friendships. That’s true! I found it very easy to make friends which initially helped with easing culture shock in college. Rooming with softball girls was also mandatory. Coaches had prepared the athletes for school by making study halls available and offering great advice on time management. The daily planner has been my best friend.
As for softball, well, it wasn’t what I expected. I anticipated many challenges physically and mentally. Nothing could prepare me for what would happen in my very first year of college softball. On September 25, 2008, a day I won’t forget, I broke my shin and ankle in four places while sliding into third base. Two surgeries later, I crutched around with 10 screws and one plate in my right leg. All activity on the field, physically, ceased. Time spent with the girls resorted to rehab and sideline cheerleader. Without any doubt, I knew, a broken ankle was why God called me to St. Mary’s.
You said a broken ankle was why God called you to go to St. Mary’s? Can you expand?
During the injury, both of my roommates underwent many struggles. One day while crutching through campus, I began praying for them. I had an epiphany. I realized had I not come to St. Mary’s to play softball I would’ve never roomed with those two girls. I would have never had the opportunity to pray for them and council them through their struggles. Before, I thought I’d been brought here solely to benefit the team with my talent. However, God’s plans for me far exceeded my own. I became a full-time minister to the broken girls on my team. It wasn’t about talent. Through my physically broken body, God showed His power to heal the broken spirited. God used me as a tool.
Did you ever make it to 100% recovery?
Oh yeah! I was at 75% by May and had been officially Red Shirted for the season. Coach Fields said that recovery was up to me. I worked very hard during the summer. I created a workout curriculum and stuck to it like glue. I reached the 100% recovery mark in December of 2009.
How’s softball and school now?
Softball and school have picked up tremendously since my freshman year. School can get pretty hard, but staying ahead is the key. If I’m not ahead, I’m behind. I stick to that rule. Softball’s like an escape. Being with all the girls and learning about their lives blesses me. From road trips and four hour practices we constantly gather together and continue to create lifelong friendships.
What do you hope to do after graduation?
Reading is the backbone of all learning. In grades 1-3 students learn to read. Anything past that level, students use reading to learn. So, if reading does not develop during this stage it becomes very difficult for the student. I hope to assist those students who encounter difficulty in grades 1-3 and beyond. Of course I’m open to whatever God has for me, but right now, that’s the goal.
What advice would you give young athletes wanting to pursue college sports?
It’s a great decision and opportunity! Pray about it and seek council from advisors, coaches and teachers. It’s not for everyone and you will know this after your first year of participation. You will make many lifelong friends. Coaches and teachers work with you side-by-side to progress you academically. Also, get a daily planner and keep up with it. The rest’s for you to learn. ■
Stacey also wanted to share a bit of wisdom passed to her in Romans 5:3-5. “More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.”

An X-Ray pic of Stacey's ankle--OUCH!


Sitting, Studying and Smiling

Stacey and Lauren giving a HUGE fan, a small token of their appreciation. So cute!!

Praise Him when they win and praise Him when they lose.

Blue Nation Fiasco. Its all about the Blue and Yellow.

St. MU - RATTLERS - Who Rahh!

Stacey and teammates--such a lovely group!

Comments

Popular Posts