Irene Village Market



Here in Jozi places close early. The only place that stays open later is the movies. While I'm all over that I miss evenings on the patio, live bands and good restaurant venues. Needless to say you gotta do your exploring in the morning, afternoon and weekends...

If you happen to find yourself in Johannesburg, SA, be sure to make your way out to the Irene Market. It's a blasty blast!




Food, crafts, antiques, food, jewelry, food, Irene Market has it all. Did I mention food? Some things seem pretty reasonable. Then there's some things that aren't reasonable by any means, aka I'm an American and they know it so they ask for a higher price. No worries friends. Two things, 1) I'm cheap and 2) I'm getting good at bargaining.

I did get this really sweet poncho imported from Nepal for $43 usd. I know that seems like a splurge, and it felt like a splurge at the moment, but winter found it's way into Jozi and it's cold all the day long. I saw the poncho and needed it immediately.

Miscellaneous things I saw:
-muscular baker men serving gourmet muffins and bread under the pseudonym "Baker Boys"
-a dog wearing overalls
-a camel try to throw a lady off it's back (I was going to ride that camel till I saw that happen...)
-a man wearing some rad jeans with flower patches (see below)




Pretty pleased with my venture to Irene, I left with a few fun items and a belly full of Pumpkin Fritters. Delightful!

These kind of markets aren't open all the time, but when they are, they're so worth going to! It's a nice break away from the sometimes-dangerous atmosphere that seems to linger amongst most South Africans. It's a breath of fresh air.

Yes, the city has a lot of crime and there's electric fences, barbed wire and not so good people everywhere, but there's also a lot of good people and a beautiful culture(s) beyond all that stuff. And I've found that I like to see the good because it always outweighs the bad.

Comments

  1. I used to work with a man from SA, and he brought back the sweetest beaded ornament for me one year. It is a star made up entirely of tiny seed beads. When I see it hanging in my window, I always imagine the woman that must have made soooo many of those ornaments to sell at a market like this. :o)

    www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying following your blog. We really miss you here in the office. I'm so happy to see you enjoy yourself. Be Blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Enter the ::Friend Zone::. Thank you for stopping by and reading! I love your comments and read every single one of them. I'll be sure to check out your blog if it's linked to your name.

**Disclaimer: This is a positive space. I retain the right to remove comments that I believe are negative and disruptive to a supportive and loving community. Any concerns can be addressed in a private e-mail.**

Popular Posts