brothers & sisters

"Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other" -Romans 12:10

The other day I went to a church event. I wore a cute black dress, vans, a sweet pink belt, with my hair curled and make-up done. Before leaving the apartment, I thought... "mmm, a little short, but I should be ok".

When I arrived I realized that either myself or my outfit was catching extra attention. I used to love this type of attention, but I realized it was very selfish and that I had an even deeper conviction than that. Idolotry. Putting myself on a pedastol so that I was above everyone and every comment was just more to relish in. Soon someone or something would knock me off the pedastol and it was a long way to the ground.

Why did the simple black dress take me back to this memory of idolotry? I remember reading the above verse and thinking about how I should treat my fellow Christian friends, my brothers. Embarassed or not, I realize that girls are a huge stumbling block for guys. What we wear, what we say, what we do. Men are not just at fault for lusting, but sometimes its me, the women. The choices we make on what to wear can hinder a man's walk with the Lord. I'm not letting the men go either. I feel that if I am sincerely your sister in Christ, you should want to take care of me like a sister. Tell me what hinders you, what I can and cannot wear, say, or do; striving for purity in this family of God.

Romans 12:10-11 reads, "Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord."

Brothers and Sisters, I apologize for my mess-ups. I want to encourage you in your walk, not hinder you. Sometimes this means, that the really cute dress must be worn with tights...

Comments

Popular Posts