He's Not Fair

Don’t you just LOVE terrible mornings?.. Sigh.

All day I’ve been telling people, with a serious face, “I woke up late and on the wrong side of the bed.” (I wanted people to understand the double-dose of bad, I've had.) More than likely this was all communicated in the monotone voice I like to save up for dry jokes.

I couldn’t seem to get anything right this morning: the alarm, the hair, the outfit… for pity’s sake! I brushed out my unnaturally tangled hair. Washed my make-up stained face. Put in my eye-rejecting contacts. Straightened my nest of a head (which I must say is standing about 2 inches off my head due to humidity). I so graciously wanted to communicate sarcasm to my mother, who then apologized for not waking me up. (Who am I? I’m 22. I should be able to get up on my own!) Then felt bad for trying to get her on board my pity-train. Looking in the mirror my watch read 6:25… the time was really 6:52 (I didn’t realize this till 5 minutes later). I got ready, packed up my kickball clothes, grabbed a snack/breakfast and yelled good bye to my mom.

I jumped in the car, drove out of the driveway and down the street when I realized, “shoot, I forgot something.” Then instead of turning around I dramatically backed the car up about two blocks so I could go back and retrieve the item, to which I also realized I’d forgotten my purse… The list goes on.

It was a no good, very bad, horrible morning. Even talking to God seemed to frustrate me. That is until…

I heard an assurance—a promise—through a song:

He won't say the words you wish that he would
Oh, he don't do the deeds you know that He could
He won't think the thoughts you think He should
But He is good, He is good

...Well, He's not fair, no He's not fair
When He fixes what's beyond repair
And graces everyone that don't deserve

No one knows Him whom eyes never seen
No, I don't know Him but He knows me
He knows me, He knows me
~

Please visit this site for the music and lyrics.
Aslan by Kendall Payne, on the grown album

***

Such a great reminder, that song. As clear as it should be in Isaiah 55:8-9, I still struggle to understand His ways are above, beyond and greater than what I think. My bad days bring about wicked thoughts (Mark 7:21-23) and wo' is me! But how great is He that would pardon and forgive my unfaithfulness (Isaiah 55:7). The great joy I've received in little truths through a simple song about a majestic and glorious king (Romans 8:6), no He's not safe but He is good and offers LIFE. That's where my mind should focus, because my heart will fail... I know that these momentary afflictions will pass and that, by golly, a Great God has schemed for a great end.

An old wise man once said, "Beware of giving up too soon. Our emotions are not reliable guides." Doth be the truth again, and again... and again.

On a side note, God continued to grace me throughout the day (prompting this post). Not only that but my company kickball team, the Rubber Busting Grasskickers are 1-0 in the San Antonio Social Club! Oh, and the Mavs won. Not that I'm a huge fan, but whatever goes against the flow right? ;)


Comments

  1. Such a lovely reminder to always trust God's ways better than our own. For some reason, Marc & I always seem to have "bad sunday mornings" while we're getting ready. It's likr something minimal will tick us off, and ruin the day. Spending more time in prayer so that we both won't be as easily irritated. Love you Heather! You are such an encouraging and devoted woman of Christ :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya girl! Prayer is essential... no conversation with father = worst day ever. I love how Father can always find ways to woo us back into His loving goodness. You're awesome Zabdy! I love you too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Enter the ::Friend Zone::. Thank you for stopping by and reading! I love your comments and read every single one of them. I'll be sure to check out your blog if it's linked to your name.

**Disclaimer: This is a positive space. I retain the right to remove comments that I believe are negative and disruptive to a supportive and loving community. Any concerns can be addressed in a private e-mail.**

Popular Posts