The Ride

Hebrews 11:6

The past couple of weeks have been one heck of a ride. Some may relate to this, probably just me experienced it, but as a kid the merry-go-round was one of the coolest toys on the playground. I had a weak stomach but couldn't resist the spin and speed that drew me near to it. As a child I remember thinking I would jump on, then jump off and I would be fine. I never learned. Here the merry-go-round is... spinning, faster. I see an opportunity to jump on it, and being the athlete I am (joke), I run the direction of the spin, faster than its actual speed so I can jump on it. SUCCESS. Now, I stand there, the best part over, as I'm standing there I find myself slowly crouching down to the kneeling position. I regret the decision of jumping on, because now the spinning moves from my eyes to my head slowly down to my stomach. I cling to the rail to keep the world from spinning and I think "when is this going to stop?". Finally, as it slows down I wait. The ride must come to a complete stop because standing is currently out of the question. Slowing, slowing, slowing, STOP. I scoot off, not caring about my pride or how I look. But I place my feet on the ground and get up, then head to the ground or a stump where I can compose myself. The world can't spin forever and eventually I must open my eyes...

Sometimes, that is what life is like for me. I see this opportunity to jump on board and realize I'm now on a fast moving ride, no longer in control and waiting for it stop or release me. School has been really tough lately. God called me to UTSA to do PR, but currently I'm not doing so hot. I work hard, and I take bad tests. Was I called to just to get through it, or am not doing all I should? Work is tough as well and sometimes life is just, well, confusing. I begin to see this trend for me, as that kid on the playground... spinning nowhere fast only to get sick and tired.

So, sounds depressing right? Hardly! I'm so in awe of God. I'm in awe of His grace and His unfailing love for me. Just as I was the anxious kid on the playground, I'm still that anxious kid, just now I'm a young adult on a bigger playground. The thing is, I am now seeking God in His good grace asking for patience. Inviting the ride, and praying that everything be glorified in His precious beautiful son's name.

I don't say this to tell you that I am still that stubborn kid who does whatever she wants ::cough cough:: I still am, but I tell you this, because it simply is all about the ride. Just as I clung to that bar, I cling to Jesus. I grab hold of the ground as I would my bible and pray that this confusion (spinning) would come to a stop. God allows me to open my eyes and again, I see. This momentary trial over... and I'm once again (and always) safe in His arms.

I know this is more a reminder for me, but seriously Praise God! Praise Him for the joy that fills my life when its raining, when times are tough, and when the confusion seems never ending. Praise HIM for the sun that rises in the morning, and then so submissively sets at night! Praise Him for the air that fills the lungs and stimulates the blood flow that makes the very heart beat. Praise God for the kids playing on the playground going in circles and crossing monkey bars. Praise Him for sending His beautiful son to take away the sin of the world, to spill out his pure blood on a filthy and undeserving nation! He loved us so much it hurt HIM... and yet His love is unfailing.

The one thing I know about these crazy rides is that as I jump on the ride I realize its too fast, I have no control and I hit my knees, may this also be my reality. The funny thing is afterwards I also hit my knees just to see that I've made it out and the world is no longer spinning. That merry-go-round is a reminder to me, of the spinning, but also of the humility. At the cross I fall to my knees, that is where I seek his face, that is where he holds me.


Comments

Popular Posts