the Creator in me

I have loved you with an everlasting love;
therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.
Jeremiah 31:3

Being a kid ruled. My little sister and I often talked about our childhood and wondered why we never found Narnia or at least some mystical world where unicorns and magic existed. We didn't do Nintendo (yes I said Nintendo, its the only "electronic" my parents bought us growing up), partly because it was for my older sisters but mainly because it wasn't as fun as our limitless world. We often jumped off the couch yelling "Hi-Yah" and "Puh-Chah", to fend off Putties from the world (Power Ranger reference, yes). We were dinosaurs in the Land Before Time and we always picked a Disney character to be, so when the credits started rolling the movie didn't actually stop, the character would live on. I read all the Harry Potter books, all the Narnia books and the Inheritance Trilogy, I can't get enough fabrication and finesse. I created castles and images in my head with just two sensory words that sent my brain through the clouds into a realm of dreams and fantasy, aka Middle Earth. With that said, I have realized a characteristic that I share with my LORD, even as a young child.

I'm a creator too.

I'd much rather someone give me a blank piece of paper and a pencil and tell me to draw the impossible, rather than give me a connect-the-dots and turn it in to be graded on neatness. I'm abstract. I'm creative (not necessarily crafty), but I like to think outside the box. I like things with lots of deep passionate colors, people with crazy ridiculous dreams, foods with bizarre flavoring, and events that challenge the world both good and bad. I daydream in color and I only like songs that I can come up with my own music video in my head. I wear things to define texture, color, and era, and I like wearing jewelry that was given to me for free. I say silly things, just to see people's reaction and I love trying to create new dance moves. (Dance moves, well, to each his own.)

I'm not so different from others, but I was made uniquely by God to take part in painting the world with the Gospel and proclaiming the High King as the ultimate Creator and Author of life.

I was recently asked to help do make up for a beautiful friend of mines wedding party. I didn't think I was going to be doing the whole wedding party, but just helping here and there. No. The whole wedding party +1, the Mother of the Groom. I was ecstatic and willing to help until I realized the enormous feat I had gotten myself into. In the midst of realizing I was doing make-up for a "Wedding Party", not just for a party or for friends, I freaked. (Now this is the day of, mind you, just so you're aware of when I decide to loose it). I ran to the furthest bathroom away and went in there and sat on the verge of tears. I prayed for a little while asking God to help me with my nerves and guide me in such a way that I wouldn't be concerned for my relief, but rather His glory. I know what some of you might be thinking, "if she's freaking out, has she ever even done someone's make-up?". The answer, loosely, is yes. I love to do my roommates make-up, my sisters, my mom and any other friends who would rather sit a session out just to be pampered. Needless to say, after returning to the bridal room God calmed my nerves and reassured me all was in His hands and I was His tool. Thank you Jesus!!

So, as each girl sat down I examined their beautiful faces, admiring my Creator's work. None of them needed make-up, they were all marvelous! But guess what? God, being the loving and creative God, also made us to create. Here I was a brush in my hand a delightful canvas before me and God was allowing me to take part in creating. Each girl needed different lines and different colors. Each girl had different eye shapes and face structure and I was there to decorate and fill in areas that, did not need anything, but I got to color it in. I found myself no longer stressed, but enjoying each girl for what God had made them. Beautiful.

I've recognized this characteristic before in me. Especially when I wake up in the morning and go to my closet. Yes, picking out your clothes can be done for the glory of God. I'm tellin' you my King is amazing. Here I stand before a rack of clothes and God gave me the gift of taking colors and splashing my life with zest! Same thing in the kitchen. God provides a desire and again, he allows me to take part in creating a meal. Best part is that its not just me that benefits from these creations. I get to share. Make-up, clothes, food... you name it. Others get to be blessed.

All this to say, I'm so thankful to a God who uses us to reveal His glory. I'm not the number one dresser, I don't cook the best foods, the make-up I've done is not essential... but God reflects pieces of Himself through me.

As you continue through your day, I pray you will realize that you were created for a purpose. That God has glorious and beautiful things to do through you. If you're an intellect, it's because God made you that way and guess what, He's smarter than you. The jokes you make, our God makes them better. The music or voice you have, also given by God whose music goes beyond our understanding. The way you look, the things you like, the passions you have. All given by God. Even the pain we experience. Experienced a million fold on Jesus, we get to share only a piece of, because Jesus took the full wrath of God that crushed him. Then Jesus raised up from the dead reassures us, "I've overcome the world". Yes, we still get to take part in that.

Hold fast to the talents and gifts He's given you. The same Creator in me is also wanting to create in you. He's glorious. He's radiant. He's God. He's Jesus. He's changing my life, my perspective and my dreams. With a brush in His hands and my life as just a piece of the pallet, He's making stroke after beautiful stroke gloriously and beautifully creating His masterpiece... I can tell you, I'm certainly a fan of the end.

Comments

Popular Posts