Anniversary #1: What I've Learned Thus Far

I never quite grasp the fact that the Lord in His graciousness gave me Jake and helped me to overcome the self-doubt of giving myself to another. It seemed impossible, but with God all things are possible, like sharing my food and Jake country dancing. There's video footage to prove that (Jake dancing, not me sharing my food).

We celebrated our one year with a night away from our normal and me riding shotgun in a fun car Jake got with his Honda perks.

The weekend had me reflecting, dreaming, and honestly in a constant state of gratitude. I love being married to Jake.

So here's my list, one year in and, God willing, a lifetime to go.

I've learned:
  • Conflict is hard but the hard conversation is always worth it.
  • Our non-moral differences can make it hard to understand one another at times, but it's important to always respect one another's differences regardless.
  • Personal expectations of my self are sometimes most times greater than any expectations Jake might have of me.
  • Sometimes I don't even know I had an expectation until I'm weirdly disappointed and realize, "you had another expectation of yourself (or Jake)."
  • I'm a sinner loving a sinner and things are going to always be messy because of that.
  • Jake is funny, like belly-roll funny.
  • We make a good team when we work together.
  • I will never understand guys in general, but I'm married to one, so I'm gonna try.
  • It's sweet to fall in love with your spouse's family.
  • God is our greatest Counselor, Source of Truth, and Hope.
  • When pressing into the Lord, the expectations, differences, opinions, anger, and frustrations dissipate and pale in comparison to what is in store for us in eternity.
  • Oh!..and cuddling is my favorite.
I didn't have 52 things, but I did have 12. Not that we're playing a numbers game here, but learning these things have been a year-long process, one month at a time, one day at a time. 

I'm no expert, that's for sure. I'm far from it. I do know that we made a promise to one another and to God before family and friends, and we are committed and dependent on Him to be faithful and loving to one another as we walk through this life together.

Happy Anniversary, my love. 


Comments

Popular Posts