More Precious than Jewels


Something people don't know about me,
(and that I don't really lavish in) is that...
I'm a sucker for fashion.


(Just a few of my fashion icons bottom right going clockwise: Lucille Ball, Jackelyn Kennedy Onassis, Audrey Hepburn, Zooey Dechanel, and most recently and obsessively Kate Middleton.)

I've always loved the classy woman.
I love buttons, pearls and tailored outfits.
Bring on the hats, gloves and sunglasses,
these are just a few of my favorite things.

When the public eye sees me though,
they won't see any of those things.
I can't really afford it.
And that's ok.

You see, something I've learned in scripture and from the wise and beautiful women in my life, is that beauty comes from within. Not to discredit any of the women above, but the most precious women with the biggest influence on my life are actually in my life. These women age beautifully every year. Grey may cover their heads, but not their hearts (please take no offense, aging is beautiful. I like to think every wrinkle is another mark of wisdom). (I can't wait to get my...err... marks ::wink, wink:: but not too many winks.)

I may seem oblivious, but I'm actually a keen observer. I've watched ladies interact with one another and with men, and one of my favorite things to do is see the light of God shine through you. How you talk, walk, dress, work and love teaches me things God meant for you to teach me.

In 1 Timothy 2:9-10, Paul writes that "women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works." Again fashion and 'expression' is not the first goal, good works aka fruits of the Spirit are. What you do, not what you wear. 

Hmmm...

In 1 Peter 3:3-6, again this idea of modesty and self-control is reiterated. Only this time, "if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening" (v. 6). Fear? (A question I often asked myself as a child.) I like how John Piper puts this fear into tangible words:

"If you are running from God because you are afraid of him, then you are not yet as afraid as you ought to be. In fact, your very flight is a mockery of God, presuming to think that you could outrun [Him]. If you really fear him and love your own life, stop running, turn around, and hug his neck for dear life...Therefore the fear of the Lord is full of peace and security and hope. It keeps us near to the merciful heart of God, our fortress, our refuge, our sanctuary, our shield, our sun."

***
Sweet ladies, girls, sisters, friends... let us remember
our outward appearance as well as our inward appearance
 reflects our fear of the Lord
(shall we then tempt our brothers and make our sister's covet?)

Dress modestly. Adorn yourself with the Armor of God.
Serve others. Live in moderation.
Trust me, there's plenty of clothes to go around. 
Take care of your body (aka Temple, more on that later).

You're a daughter of the King, a true princess.
Please don't forget this, wherever you go.

For the godly woman, is:
Far more precious than jewels. 
The heart of her husband trusts in her, 
and he will have no lack of gain. 
She does him good, and not harm, 
all the days of her life.

She dresses herself with strength 
and makes her arms strong.

Strength and dignity are her clothing, 
and she laughs at the time to come.
She opens her mouth with wisdom, 
and the teaching of kindness 
is on her tongue. 

Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, 
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Provers 31

Comments

Popular Posts