Here am I. Send me!


Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
“Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

*******

For those who read my story
about me coming to know and follow
the Lord, also know that there's a call on my life
to cross-cultural missions.
Back in September of 2010
the call to missions weighed heavier on my heart,
than ever.

I thought to myself,
"Right now Lord?
So close to my degree?"

I prayed.
I fasted.
I read His word.
I researched.
I told a small group of trusted friends.
They prayed for me.
They questioned me.
We waited.

December came around
and I had received several confirmations
through a mentor,
through prayer,
through his word,
through a single's retreat
...

Still I waited.
Discouraged.
Confused.
Anxious.

In January an email went out to the UTSA BSM group
via Facebook about mission opportunities through Go Now Missions.
I went to the Go Now website.

I read stories, researched background information,
and looked at the opportunities.
A peace overcame me.
I wanted to go to Africa to work with women and children.
That opportunity was available.

I was on board.
I believed my parents were not.
I wanted to honor my parents.
Jesus means more than anything to me.
Scripture warred itself within me.

So I cried out to God to change their hearts.
Sought council.
I threw a fleece out on my parents.
(Judges 6:36-40)

Trials.
Heartbreak.
Denial.
"God change their hearts!" I'd cry.
But He didn't.
He changed mine.
(How amazing you are Jesus?!)

Instead of going overseas to do cross-cultural missions,
God has brought His people to Ft. Worth, TX
through World Relief.

Refugees* in bulk,
straight from the 10/40 window:
Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Burma, Burundi, Rawanda,
Congo, Cuba, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Somalia.

All needing to be served and loved.
All needing the gospel.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,

“Whom shall I send?

And who will go for us?”
I replied, "Here am I. Send Me!"
I will lay down my books, backpack and laptop
and push away the diploma
for a semester (August-December).

I follow Christ to Ft. Worth
to serve and love on those whom He's called us
to love and serve.
(Matthew 6:33, Matthew 25:35, James 1:27,
Matthew 6:10, Revelation 7:9)

For the Lord spoke to me...

"
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
and before you were born I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet to the nations.
Do not say, ‘I am only a youth’;

for to all to whom I send you, you shall go,
and whatever I command you, you shall speak.
Do not be afraid of them,
for I am with you to deliver you,
declares the Lord."
(Jeremiah 1:4-8)

*A refugee is someone who has been forced to flee his or her country because of persecution, war, or violence. A refugee has a well-founded fear of persecution for reasons of race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a particular social group. Most likely, they cannot return home or is afraid to do so. War and ethnic, tribal and religious violence are leading causes of refugees fleeing their countries.
*******
This post has a lot of "read between the lines" for the sake of length. The journey to right now has been AMAZING. God's glory far exceeds my boxed story, because He has done EVERYTHING for me. I've often summed up the journey saying that: "I do all that I can (humanly possible) up to the locked door and then God faithfully shoves me through it." A God of might and power owns those doors and those keys...

The hardest thing in this whole adventure has been both the constant turning of the cheek and speaking boldly when people criticize and claim to "know what's better" for me. It often reminds me of the moment when Jesus tells Peter, "Get behind me Satan."

Long ago, before I took the plunge, a friend of mine quoted a beloved pastor, when I told of this struggle. The quote went something like this:
"Every person has a calling on their life that is an Ark that makes no sense to anyone else. But you are absolutely positive He has called you to live for the Kingdom in this way."
It just so happens that God has a couple of Arks for me... I just never know what to expect. My life before fully following Christ was perfect. Everything I did made sense. The degree, the job, my future all 'good ideas.' Ever since taking up my cross and dying to Christ, nothing makes sense and my world's been turned upside down. Now, the only thing that makes sense is Christ. To the world that's, well, crazy.

*******
For the curious ones-
I will assist in:


1. The refugee's cultural adjustment to America
2. Building relationships with the Refugee community
3. Spiritual transformation among the Refugee community
(including salvation of the lost) / I will get to share the good news! :)

I am currently in the process of raising funds for this trip.
Feel free to email me at heather.moss7@gmail.com for questions regarding this call. I'd love to hear from you.

Comments

Popular Posts