Day 1: Ministry

 Day 1, I prayed for Ministry. Kind of a broad topic... I know. Through prayer and reading I found myself focusing mainly on Pastors, Youth Ministers and "Public Pastors."
90% of the pastors report working between 55 to 75 hours per week.
70% say they have a lower self-image now than when they first started.
70% do not have someone they consider a close friend.
50% of the ministers starting out will not last 5 years.
80% spouses feel left out and under appreciated by church members. 
66% of church members expect a minister and family to 
live at a higher moral standard than themselves.  

#1 reason pastors leave the ministry:
Church people are not willing to go the same 
direction and goal of the pastor. 
Pastor's believe God wants them to go in one direction 
but the people are not willing to follow or change.

PASTORS:

Excerpt from an article:
"It is a promise relating to the new testament, that God would give unto his church "pastors according to his own heart, which should feed them with knowledge and understanding" (Jer. 3:15). This is by teaching or preaching the word, and no otherwise...

Their work is "to labour in the word and doctrine (I Tim. 5:17); and thereby to "feed the flock over which the Holy Ghost hath made them overseers" (Acts 20:28): and it is that which is everywhere given them in charge."

I prayed for my pastor, specifically. Pastors are placed in these roles for God's glory. There's a lot of spiritual weight and responsibility on pastors, as you can see from the above excerpt.

My prayer is that my pastor would continue to grow strong in his faith and walk with the Lord. I prayed for his family and that through them, God would shine His light. I prayed for protection from distractions and a thirst for the Word, doctrine and theology.

YOUTH PASTORS:

One youth pastor said:

"I couldn't take it anymore. I was burned out of youth ministry, and I had just begun. There had to be something deeper, richer, and more satisfying than this."

His final words:
"With all my heart, I plead with you to not be tempted with "success," professionalism, or the fading fads of our entertainment-driven culture. Rather, pursue Jesus as the all-satisfying Treasure that he is and feed his young sheep with the means God has provided."

I have friends in youth ministry that I adore. I've worked in youth ministry... The above statement proves true again and again. It's a tough ministry. I pray for strength, endurance and a passion for feeding and loving the youth and for a pure and righteous pursuit for God's glory.

PUBLIC PASTORS:

I know you've got one. I have a few. I call those known by more than just their congregation and town "public pastors." I guess after thinking about ministry and meditating on what the Lord was telling me... I couldn't help but think of the guys who wrote influential books in my life and have information floating all over the World Wide Web through sermons, blogs and the likes.

An interesting article excerpt:

"Everyone has Christian friends who speak about their favorite pastors with the same reverence and awe generally reserved for Jesus or Apple products. These folks hang on every word the pastor writes, preaches or tweets, and can seem incapable of forming opinions of their own without first consulting the person behind the pulpit... On the other hand, there are cynical Christians who like to find one or two outspoken pastors on whom to continually focus their anger."

“So then, no more boasting about human leaders! All things are yours, whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God.” (1 Corinthians 3:21)



My first Daniel Fast grocery list.

Lunch's hearty salad.

Oh, buddy! If you want the recipe... Ask me.
  
Dessert to top it off. ::drool::
Alright, so the first day was good.
Ministry, fasting and acting...

I, myself couldn't believe the statistics,
and the more I researched the more
they all became a blur of repetition.

Chilling.

After praying for my pastor,
I decided to send him an email letting
him know how much I appreciated
him and I then asked him how I could pray for him.

Don't neglect the person who shepherds you and so many others....
They love you and pray for their flock constantly.

How else could a pastor be appreciated?
Who's an important ministry leader in your life?
Would you eat the stuff bell peppers?

Comments

Popular Posts