Day 7: Homeless

Courtesy
I'll never forget the way I felt when I entered the homeless community and breathed my last breath of worldy innocence as I watched a woman and her two kids beg of me for a few dollars in down town San Antonio. I handed her some money, along with some bracelets I had on my wrists with the bumper sticker acronyms "WWJD" and "F.R.O.G." for the kids. I wanted to give her more, a new life perhaps? Hope? What was it?

Sure, I'd passed homeless people my whole life, in the car with my parents or friends, by bus on the way to a game, walking downtown near the Riverwalk. I'd even once made "ministry bags" to hand out to them, after reading Francis Chan's Crazy Love, and feeling convicted, I pulled the bible study I was leading at the time down with me, to serve people of a need. I was desperate, but timid.

Between life lessons, bizarre suggestions (on love, particularly) and interesting takes on religion, my love for the homeless community increases year to year. Why Lord? Why them? Why me? Why this broken heart?  I used to ask that all the time... till I understood the gift of compassion.

I met a homeless man once in my early years of ministry (4 years ago), named Oscar*, 70 years old, who spoke primarily Spanish and was perhaps the most Godly man I'd ever met. Oscar always looked clean shaven and walked around with a little basket on wheels (it acted as a walker) and he always spoke with such grace and reverence. We talked almost every Saturday at Travis Park, if he was there, and often he'd preach to me--a common attribute of people from the streets--much wisdom, they have. Once, Oscar asked if he could pray for me. I said yes. His prayer, not in its entirety (and in Spanish (a friend translated)), went a little something like this: "Thank you Lord, for my sisters and brothers in ministry. Thank you for their faith and for their hearts. Thank you Lord for the clothes on my back, the bread in my bag and the shoes on my feet. I have everything I need..."

He continued. As he prayed I took in every word Oscar said. I have everything I need. He went on to quote scripture and thanked God for being homeless because it gave him more opportunities to share the Gospel of Jesus with, well, homeless people--group of people I couldn't always relate with.  

I have everything I need. What did that mean? In my mind, he had nothing. No home. No job. He certainly wasn't healthy. I have everything I need. Over the years I've unpacked that statement, reflecting on the words of Jesus and Paul, both homeless men.

I never forgot what Oscar said. People like that, just stick with you.

Years later, I still see some of the same faces I saw on the streets three years ago. They still sell papers and take whatever work they can get. It is on rare occasion, three particularly, that I've heard they actually make it back into society with a job and a home they can pay rent on without government help.

It's a humbling ministry to partake in. A ministry that's taught me the harshness of humanity and yet the very beauty of it. Like, I've had more homeless friends give me gifts than my own friends, regardless of birthday or Christmas. They also listen better. Even though I'm the one with nothing to say. No wisdom to pass. What is that? Seriously.

I know. I know. Homeless ministry is not for everyone. Yet the bible says, "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me... Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me." (Matthew 25:35-40).

Yeah, sounds like it.
My only "posed" photo with my friends from Downtown. I don't really take pics in the homeless ministry.

By no means, am I saying I'm better. I'd hate, literally despise, if that's what you took from this. I'm a bigger sinner than most of them. The drugs, the prostitution, the hate, the loneliness, the heartache, the divorce, the lay off, the foreclosure, the bad day... I've heard a lot of stories. It's my favorite question to ask on the street: "What's your story?" They like to answer. 

Pray for the homeless community. There's so many ways you can help. There's so many ways you can be a blessing. There's so much you have to learn... 


Read this blog if you get a chance. Its about a youth pastor who has given up his house for lent this year: http://40daysofhaven.com/

Local ministries, I'm involved with. Feel free to drop some more if you've got em.
And finally, three years after I had done homeless ministry I read Irresistible Revolution, by Shane Claiborne. I finally understood, why me? why them? It'll rip you up. Shane's ministry site: http://thesimpleway.org/

Pray with me, for the homeless in your city.
Pray that they will not go another night, knowing they're loved.
Act with me.

Comments

Popular Posts