Day 3: Suicide

Courtesy

We're called to hold our hands
against the wounds of a broken world,
to stop the bleeding.
-Donald Miller

The Numbers:

The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that each year approximately
one million people die from suicide, which represents a global
 mortality rate of 16 people per 100,000 or one death every 40 seconds.
 It is predicted that by 2020 the rate of death will increase to one every 20 seconds.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

An excerpt from the "story" of To Write Love On Her Arms:

"She hands me her last razor blade, tells me it is the one she used to cut her arm and her last lines of cocaine five nights before. She's had it with her ever since, shares that tonight will be the hardest night and she shouldn't have it. I hold it carefully, thank her and know instantly that this moment, this gift, will stay with me. It hits me to wonder if this great feeling is what Christ knows when we surrender our broken hearts, when we trade death for life."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A plea for life, love and pursuit... Today, a sobering reminder that so many take their lives because they believe they're alone. No one cares. No one knows. Out is the only way in.

This topic is not far from home. A student from school. A sibling. A neighbor. A person on the brink of suicide walks the streets, goes to the clubs, goes to school, goes to work and goes to church...

The Lord spoke:
"I created you. I formed you. I redeemed you. I called you by name. YOU ARE MINE."
-Isaiah 43:1, paraphrased

My prayer is that I'd be sensitive of the Holy Spirit and His pursuit of the broken hearted and depressed. I am thankful for organizations like TWLOHA, who see and act. I pray that I'd see and act. I pray that those considering suicide would be consumed by a multitude of loving arms. I pray that they would see, there is another way--His Name is Jesus.

 Oh, eyes be opened and hands be ready. The Lord shall deliver.


Comments

Popular Posts