New 52: I Almost Died

Last week I vacationed in the great state of Florida retreating to Disney (which is not really a retreat) and meandered through Universal Studios, so I could obsess over enjoy Harry Potter World. More on all that to come...

Right now, I'd like to take a second to let you in on a not so secretive secret about me: I am deathly afraid of roller coasters. Yes, since childhood my parents attempted to drag me on rides in hopes of scaring the fear right out of me. My sisters would beg and plead for me to "try and ride" since I am apart of a family of SIX and pairs worked out in everyone else's favor. Pathetically I would beg and plead with my family to understand I couldn't ride because I'd die (dramatic much?). I cried many crocodile tears over theme parks and rides. Let's not even start on middle school or high school trips to Fiesta Texas. Designated bag holder anyone?

If you're still reading and think I'm a loser, please stop reading. I'm about to solidify that thought.

Confession number two: I'm scared of the dark. I'm such a fan of light, it's ridiculous (Thomas Kincaid, I feel you man). I slept with a nightlight for years till the outside light was enough light for me. I don't do haunted houses. Don't stick me in a closet and turn off the lights. At night you can find me sprinting from point A to point B like my life depended on it. Don't feel bad for me, because I feel fine. I'm just paranoid.

OK, sooo, New 52. Oh yeah! I almost died, because I did something that scared me. I mean really? Who has resolutions like that? Me, that's who.

At this point in the vacation we'd definitely taken advantage of the Fast Pass (highly suggested). When we'd arrive at opening, my sister or friend would sprint to the number one ride of choice (made by the entire group) and grab a Fast Pass. Ride #1 in Magic Kingdom was Space Mountain...

I had my reservations about Space Mountain, but assumed it would be fine. That is until we got in line and I started reading the long winded warning signs. An all too familiar feeling knotted up in my stomach and I began to sweat. The closer we got to the front, the more I realized this was a roller coaster. My sisters kept looking back at me asking if I was alright and if I'd still ride. Talk about mental games. Two Space Mountain veteran riders assured me it would be fine. "There's a few little drops, but nothing crazy." I told myself, "nothing crazy. It's nothing crazy." Then it was our turn and I jumped on the ride... which I noticed was a single rider cart.  

"So, I'm doing this alone," I thought.
via

The ride took off and I immediately closed my eyes. It seemed so dark. I opened my eyes for a second out of curiosity. Mistake. The ride was in the dark. It didn't matter if I'd opened my eyes, so I shut my eyes again. I felt a scream crawl up my throat and tears gather in my eyes. Now, when I scream or giggle, it's not cute girly sounds that reach the surface. No. I yell. My heart jumped inside my chest. Sweat began to accumulate behind my knees, in my palms and around my neck. My hair fell freely around my shoulders. I was a hot mess.

The ride presented it's first drop. I screamed and it elongated into a yell. The fun adrenaline everyone else felt in their veins, not so much in mine. I just wanted to survive. Drop after drop and turn after turn my eyes were spewing tears and my hair clung to every part of my sweaty and tear filled face. Between the yells of terror were deathly silent breaths of life. While the room was cold (or so I was told) my cart lit up on fire. Not literally, but my body temperature rose high. The ride felt like it would never end... death was near.

Then it came to a stop. So close to sobbing and gasping for air, the ride attendant pat my back and said, "are you alright? It's OK, it's over." My shaky legs proved no help in supporting my body as I scrambled from one side to the other covering my eyes out of embarrassment. I looked nowhere for safe haven. I just had to see the light outside...

Without further ado, the story of survival ended with me following my sister and standing beside Stitch of Lilo and Stitch in a picture. No one said a word to me about Space Mountain till the day was over. Then I retold my story of survival to which everyone comforted and assured me they'd never let that happen again.

In case you needed a recap, or didn't want to read my story there's a few things we learned today.

1.) Heather is scared of roller coasters.
2.) Heather is scared of the dark.
3.) Heather rode Space Mountain, a roller coaster in the dark.
4.) She doesn't scream, she yells.
5.) Heather Survived.

Thank you Disney, for making my dreams of New 52, come true.
Dare I say nightmare?
(I know, dramatic.)

Comments

  1. Aw, I'm sorry Space Mountain was so traumatic! That's one of my fave rides at Disney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. I agree. I'm sure a lot of people love Spacey M, but I'm a baby. To me all you other folk {people who like coasters} are "rough riders."

      Just a pretzel in the theme park and I'll be fine ;).

      Delete
  2. Marc is afraid of roller coasters and heights too! & Deb was always afraid of them because she had some weird fear she would fly out. Hope your Disney Vacation was amazing. Must've been a fun family trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we can all go to a theme park now and I'll know at least Marc or Deb will accompany me in bag holding. Did I ever tell you about the time my pastor's wife met Matthew McConaughey at Fiesta Texas? I almost hung out with her as a bag holder companion, but instead chose to hang with my friends and hold their bags alone.

      I've made some mistakes in my life in theme parks, but that was the biggest one ;)

      Delete
  3. Hey don't feel bad, I am also afraid of the dark AND roller coasters. And in fact, you are braver than me because last time I was in Disney World I wouldn't even TRY Space Mountain. So, I am impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha aww...you poor thing! I hate carnie rides, but can totally get through the amusement park rides. I'm jealous, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love that poster! and the story! your blog is darling; so excited to be a new follower!

    anna
    www.embracethesunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Enter the ::Friend Zone::. Thank you for stopping by and reading! I love your comments and read every single one of them. I'll be sure to check out your blog if it's linked to your name.

**Disclaimer: This is a positive space. I retain the right to remove comments that I believe are negative and disruptive to a supportive and loving community. Any concerns can be addressed in a private e-mail.**

Popular Posts