30x30: Day 12 - Wild and Free










I didn't discover my personal STYLE till I was a sophomore in high school, thanks to Drug Free week and the week of Homecoming...

My early childhood relied heavily on hand-me-downs from my sisters and "back-to-school" shopping. I was a wee bit of tom boy then and  wore religiously athletic shorts and t-shirts, until I realized I wanted to add a bit of "girl" to my wardrobe and invested in some skorts. Yup.

Middle school didn't get much better. I conformed to the prepster style, where I was in absolute agony, mentally and financially. Financially my mom wasn't having that. I loathed her for it. Now I thank her. Mentally it didn't really feel like me. Whatever me was?

Come sophomore year of high school and I started seeing a trend, no pun intended. My favorite fashion weeks in the year were Drug Free week and the week of Homecoming. Why? Because I could dress crazy. I could explore and revisit hand-me-downs and wear thrift store items without the slightest bit of judgement. I could throw a red pair of cowboy boots on to "kick drugs." Silly socks with a dress to "sock it to the Eagles." I could "stay groovy, and don't do drugs" in my 70s attire.

And it was then, my personal style was born: Wild and Free. You see, I really don't think I have a "specific" style. I'm a free spirit when it comes to fashion. I never went through phases, juust lots and lots of layers. Throughout the remaining days, you might say I bet she'll wear--but then I'll cut your thought off with a dose of random. I can't help it.

I will be the older lady who dresses with the seasons, wears a flag poncho on the 4th of July, bunny earrings on Easter and bells and snowflakes will adorn my outfits during the month of December. I already look forward to it.

What's your personal style (in a few words)?
When did you discover your style?

Comments

  1. Those thrifted pants are a gem! You don't come across beauts like those everyday :)
    Also, I truly loved your story about style. We all come to know who we are and what we like some way and each is beautiful.

    xoxo,
    tiana of l'esthetique

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOUR HAIR. It looks so amazing...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Enter the ::Friend Zone::. Thank you for stopping by and reading! I love your comments and read every single one of them. I'll be sure to check out your blog if it's linked to your name.

**Disclaimer: This is a positive space. I retain the right to remove comments that I believe are negative and disruptive to a supportive and loving community. Any concerns can be addressed in a private e-mail.**

Popular Posts